How To Replace Battery For VW Key
When your VW key isn’t working properly, it can be very annoying. Quite often, this problem is related to a dead battery and can be fixed rather quickly. Getting this problem addressed will save you a ton of hassle. Here is a list of steps to fix the problem.
Before we get to the fix, this solution works with the VW switchblade style key fobs. These are the ones that are rectangular and have a button on the side. When you press down on the button, the metal key will flip out into position similar to a switchblade knife.
Do It Yourself
To fix this problem yourself with require some time, patience, a flat head screwdriver and a CR2032 replacement battery. Here is how to do it:
- Press the button on the key to flip out the metal key – activate the switchblade.
- Place the key fob on a flat surface and find the side with the VW logo facing up. Rotate it to get the metal key sticking out the right and the channel, where the key fits, facing you.
- Next, closely inspect the channel and find where it is vertically split.
- Grab the flat head screwdriver; insert it into the split and turn in order to pry open the key fob, creating two pieces. The battery compartment should be on the left side and the key on the right.
- Taking the same screwdriver, pry open the battery compartment to get to the battery.
- Replace the battery with the CR20232 with the + side facing down.
- Lastly, put the key fob back together by reversing these steps.
Replacing the battery in the VW key can seem like an easy thing to do. However, there are times when it makes sense to visit your local dealer for assistance. These cases are when you are nervous about breaking the key fob or your fob is misshaped or otherwise damaged. Having an expert technician look at it then is a wise step to take.
The reality is that replacement key fobs aren’t cheap and breaking yours trying to replace a battery is not a wise move. Having your local VW dealer service this for you, can save you money and hassle.
A properly working key fob is often taken for granted and it is always when it doesn’t work do you notice how much of a pain it is without it. Get your key fob fixed ASAP and make your life a lot better.