All 21st-century Volkswagens come with key fobs. This small component is very important and sees a lot of use. We put together a buyer's guide to help educate you about key fobs and illuminate common issues you may encounter with them.
Why Is Your Key Fob Important?
A key fob is a remote primarily used to lock and unlock your vehicle. Depending on your vehicle, the fob can perform other functions such as setting off the alarm, opening your trunk. In vehicles equipped with push-button start, the key fob serves as the transmitter for the vehicle to start. You can find a more extensive breakdown of key fobs in this post.
Are OEM Key Fobs Better?
If you're looking for a replacement key fob for your Volkswagen, you're likely teetering between an OEM key fob or an aftermarket key fob. While the lower price point looks appealing, aftermarket key fobs don't have OEM level quality, and can require some tricky programming. This post will help educate you on the positives and negatives of the two.
How To Replace The Battery In Your VW Key Fob
It's common for your key fob battery to die over time. Replacing your key fob battery is simple. All you need is a flat head screwdriver and a replacement CR2032 battery. Refer to this post for instructions on how to replace your key fob battery.
What To Do If Your VW Key Fob Stops Working
Have trouble with your Volkswagen key fob? Our troubleshooting guide provides solutions to common Volkswagen key fob issues such as:
- The vehicle will not start, even though the key works in the door and unlocks the ignition. The theft light is flashing.
- The “No Key Found” message is displayed when you try to use the push-button start.
- The push-button start will not work even with the key in the center console.
- You cannot start the car and the theft light is on.
Door Locks Not Working
If you have an issue with the door locks on your Volkswagen, it is possible that the issue is with the key fob. Our post on malfunctioning door locks goes over common scenarios such as:
- One door lock is not working
- The windows work off the passenger side switch but not the driver's side (or vice versa)
- The door lock works in only one direction
- Locks work from the switch, but not the remote
How To Program A Key For Your Volkswagen
You may think programming a new key fob requires a trip to the dealership, but that's not the case. Programming your OEM key fob can be done from your driveway in just a few minutes if you follow our guide. The best part is that this requires no tools whatsoever.
Volkswagen Parts Vortex sells only genuine OEM Volkswagen parts. All of our parts are backed by VW’s manufacturer warranty. Contact us through our online form or by calling us at 888-667-8938.