Before replacing your windshield wipers, you have one important decision to make. Should you buy OEM or aftermarket wiper blades? Which option offers the most value for your money?
If you ask us, OEM is the way to go. The manufacturer – Volkswagen in our case – makes all genuine OEM wipers. That means you’re getting exact replicas of the stock wipers on your car. In other words, you’re getting:
- Perfect fitment
- High quality materials
- Reliable performance
What Could Go Wrong With Aftermarket Wipers?
The windshield wipers on your vehicle play a huge role in ensuring your safety in wet and inclement weather. That’s why you need wipers that provide reliable performance at all times. Most aftermarket wipers can't live up to that. It’s pretty common for aftermarket wipers to start leaving streaks on the windshield. Many aftermarket wipers aren’t reliable because:
- They are mass produced with a universal design. That means they’re made to fit many different vehicles (from different manufacturers). This leads to fitment issues. Some of the most common fitment issues include:
- Incorrect curvature to fit the windshield
- Incorrect length (too long or too short)
- Incorrect thickness for the wiper arm
- They’re produced with low quality materials. That means they can:
- Wear out fast
- They're not produced with good workmanship. That means they can fall apart under strenuous conditions. That will compromise your safety on the road.
In a nutshell, many aftermarket wipers:
- Don't last long
- Provide unreliable performance
You don’t have to worry about these issues with OEM wipers. Volkswagen makes sure that OEM wipers made for your model will:
- Fit properly
- Perform well for a long time
1. OEM Wipers Come With The Right Dimensions
Windshield wipers need to come with the right dimensions to perform correctly.
- Windshield wipers need to be the correct length to maximize the area cleared on your windshield.
- Windshield wipers need the correct curvature to ensure full contact with your windshield at all times.
Wipers with dimensions that are just a little bit off won’t meet OEM standards for performance. They will leave streaks all over your windshield. That reduces visibility in bad weather.
If you want windshield wipers with perfect dimensions, OEM is the way to go.
2. OEM Wipers Last A Long Time
Volkswagen produces its OEM wipers with high quality materials. VW understands that quality is a large factor that determines how long a wiper will last. OEM wipers are always consistent in terms of quality. The wiper blades are made with high quality rubber material. The arms are made with sturdy reinforced plastic that can withstand all kinds of conditions.
3. It’s Easy To Find The Right OEM Wipers For Your VW
Shopping for aftermarket wipers can be very overwhelming. It’s because there are so many options available. You have to do research on:
Even if you’ve done a lot of research, there’s still no guarantee that you’ll end up with a quality set. Some people take the opposite approach, and don't do any research. That's like playing roulette. They've got 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 odds of getting decent wiper blades.
In comparison, OEM windshield wipers are very easy to find, and the quality is there. All you have to do is to look up your VW model in our catalog. It’ll provide you with the right part number. It takes only a few seconds to do that.
The bottom line? OEM wipers usually cost a little more than aftermarket ones upfront, but you’ll save more money with them in the long run. If you have any questions about OEM and aftermarket wipers, please contact us. We’ll be happy to help you reach an educated decision!